Governor's School Leadership Academy - Principal Support Program
What is it?
Through partnerships between Gwinnett County Public Schools, the Governor’s Office of Student Achievement (GOSA), and the Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE), the Governor’s School Leadership Academy (GSLA) Principal Support Program is designed to support sitting principals in managing the change process to achieve transformational school-level improvement. Principal participants join in a rich cohort-based experience that supports their development during the 2019-2020 academic year and beyond.
Designed for sitting principals in turnaround eligible schools, the GSLA Principal Support Program provides job-embedded opportunities for participants to apply lessons learned to their unique school turnaround contexts. During the year, participating principals will engage in assignments to practice the school improvement process through job-embedded activities aligned to the expectations of GaDOE’s School Improvement Division. These activities allow participants to practice data-driven decision making, develop cultural competence as leaders, and sharpen instructional leadership skills. As a member of a cohort with other sitting principals who are also working to transform their schools, participants will further develop their leadership strengths while expanding their network of support. Ultimately, the goal of the GSLA Principal Support Program is to increase the impact of school leaders on behalf of the students and communities they serve.
Who is eligible to participate?
In coordination with the School Improvement Division at GaDOE, principals of schools identified for Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI), Targeted Support and Improvement (TSI), and Promise Schools will be invited to participate in the 2019-2020 GSLA Principal Support Program. Three cohorts of up to 30 participants will be selected based on priority registrations. Invitations will be sent directly to principals of identified schools with registration instructions and specific program details.
What are the expectations?
- Three-day (June 24-26) in-person group training session to build key relationships with fellow leaders in the GSLA cohort and begin critical coursework that frames the year-long learning experience (The training will be held at the J. Alvin Wilbanks Instructional Support Center in Suwanee, Georgia.)
- A combination of monthly virtual and in-person meetings (In-person cohort sessions will be held in regional locations based on the make-up of the cohort.)
- Job-embedded leadership simulations and activities aligned to school improvement efforts to develop skills in real-world applications
- One-on-one coaching with a leadership coach throughout the year to maximize strengths
- Stipend of $2,000 – $2,500 (Exact amount will be communicated prior to June 24, 2019.)*
*To receive the stipend, principals are expected to attend and actively engage in 100% of programming, proactively seek and provide feedback, complete the assigned coursework for each session, and actively participate in the ongoing coaching provided through the GSLA.
2018/2019 Principal Support Cohort