- Students nominated by their school district, private school or state charter, after the conclusion of the local selection process, will be invited to complete the online state application.
- Nominees will be notified by the Governor’s Honors Program, via email, and provided with a link to the GHP online application system on November 15th. The nominees email address will have been provided to GHP by the GHP Coordinator.
- Once nominees have accessed the online application for the first time they will be required to request permission from their parent/legal guardian. A parent permission form will be emailed and must be completed by the parent/legal guardian of the nominee. If permission is not granted the student will be unable to complete and submit the online application. Students and parents will not be able to use the same email address. Students are encouraged to use an email address that they actively use. iCloud and school provided email addresses have blocked communication from GHP in the past.
- Nominees are responsible for completing and submitting the online application. Nominees must also hold themselves accountable in communicating with parents, counselors, and teachers to complete any requested forms/documents.
- A component of the online application is the teacher recommendation request. Nominees should select a teacher that can speak to their ability in the chosen area of nomination. The teacher recommendation request can be completed by a former/current teacher, professor, private tutor, mentor, etc. It is important that nominees actively discuss the recommendation request with their chosen teacher so that they are aware of the request and anticipate the request when sent from the online application.
- A component of the online application is the student record request. GHP requires that a school counselor or administrator submit a transcript(s) which covers all years of high school/secondary school education. The transcript(s) must include an explanation of the school's grading system and include grades from the most recent school term. It is important that nominees actively discuss the student record request with their counselor/admin so that they are aware of the request and anticipate the request when sent from the online application.
- Standardized test results are ONLY required in the areas of Mathematics and Science. Mathematics and science nominees who have not had the opportunity to take the PSAT, SAT or ACT should make plans to do so as soon as possible.
- The online application is due on January 3rd. Applications received through the online application portal will be submitted to content area experts for review. Reviewers for each area of nomination will use a scoring rubric to score each application.
- Nominees selected to attend the state semifinalist event will be notified on February 4th.
- PDF copies of last year’s online application will be made available to GHP Coordinators to share with nominees. And will be accessible by nominees through the online application system.